Keywords: Leadership, management, CEO, CEO characteristic, CEO background, performance, organisational performance, leaders characteristics, leaders backgrounds, Chief Executive Officer
Whilst there is little doubt that organisational performance relies on a multitude of factors, one of the most prevalent are the characteristics of the organisation’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO). This has been a growing area of interest with an average of 6,000 published studies being conducted in 2009 with this average rising to over 11,000 a year since 2013.
As a result of this interest, and a direct request for more information from members, we have compiled a research briefing about the very latest findings about CEO characteristics and their impact on performance.
- Introduction 4
- Recruiting new CEOs 5
- Educational background of CEOs 6
- The impact of organisational ownership 7
- The impact of entrepreneurial CEOs 8
- International outlook 9
- Use of social media by CEOs 9
- CEO materialism 9
- CEOs strategy capability 10
- Humble CEOs with and without vision 11
- Specialist v generalist CEOs 12
- Dealing with uncertainty 13
- Organisational ambidexterity 14
- CEO familiarity bias in mergers and acquisitions 15
- CEO psychological characteristics 16
- The dark triad 16
- Narcissism 16
- Psychopathy 16
- Machiavellianism 16
- The impact of leaders/CEOs with dark triad tendencies 17
- CEO personality traits associated with positive organisational performance 17
- CEO agreeableness 17
- Emotional stability 17
- Conscientiousness 17
- Openness to experience 17
- Extraversion 17
- Strategic change and CEO personality 18
- Extraversion and the cost of capital and risk 18
- The dark triad 16
- Innovation and CEO characteristics 19
- CEO risk aversion 19
- CEO flexibility 19
- CEO personality and innovation 19
- CEO stability, optimism and resilience 20
- Conclusion 21
- References 22
This is a Live Report
Members get full access to the ‘Live’ version of this report
In addition to the downloadable PDF report, members also get access to a Live Report version.
Live reports are web-based reports that are continually updated as new research is published, so you can see the latest research findings about that topic. These are member’s only documents and you can log in and go to them to check on the latest findings. So for the current study the live document is here https://oxford-review.com/ceo-background-and-i…. As you can see you will need to log in to view it as these are members only resources.
Not a member yet?
Not a member? – Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- The occasional special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...